WASHINGTON – April 8, 2019 – The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued a release saying that an entity using the name "First National Bank," reportedly located at 222 S 9th Street, Minneapolis, Minn. 55402, misrepresents itself as a national bank. It purports to be a financial institution offering business banking services.
"This entity is not a licensed or chartered bank," OCC says in its release.
Businesses have reported receiving fictitious letters and faxes offering uncollateralized revolving lines of credit, secured loans and long-term loans. Fictitious correspondence may include telephone numbers of (800) 491-0264 or (855) 414-9437.
Consumers should not respond in any manner to the above-described correspondence. If anyone has been victimized by this entity, however, they should file reports with the following agencies:
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Inspector General (OIG): by telephone at (800) 359 3898 or by visiting the OIG website.
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's website.
- National Consumers League (NCL): by telephone at (202) 835-3323 or by e-mail. To file a fraud complaint, visit the NCL fraud website.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The website offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the internet).
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency:
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Special Supervision Division
400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218; MS 8E-12
Washington, DC 20219
Phone: (202) 649-6450Fax: (571) 293-4925
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resources page.
© 2019 Florida Realtors®